Thursday, October 29, 2009

Blake's - the M-City of Berkeley?

Yes, it does exist. Well, kinda. On weekends the local hangout, Blake's, turns its basement into a club and every Friday it becomes a haven for Asians. I got in for the first time last Friday with a friend since there was an event on, some mixer thing for Cal dancers.

I didn't got in with any expectations. What's the point, how can anyone have expectations once they've experienced the full glory of 146 Roe St? But damn. What though the venue is certainly lacking - it's literally just a huge basement, which I guess is kind of cool - the party goers make up for in dancing.

I think there's a whole different definition of 'grinding' over here. The worst offenders? The gay guys. Holy crap. I'm gonna say no more on this topic, except that let's just say that all four limbs end up on the floor.

But at least in this environment, I was actually able to look out over the d-floor above everyone's heads. Any of the white guys would've looked like giants in that place.

My verdict:

Venue: 6/10 - Run down basement theme is pretty cool. Need's serious ventilation though.
Music: 8/10 - Lots of club bangers.
Bar: 8/10 - One long ass bar runs down an entire wall. Quick service, cheap drinks.
Crowd: 4/10 - Yes they do put out more here. Too bad there was an A-train of grinders making its way through every 15 mins.

I definitely had a better time at Opel in SF after Love-fest Evolution. Club right by the bay, d-floor on the jetty, elevators to different floors. Glowsticks. Way cool. Oh and racial diversity - but who needs that?



I think you can just make out the jetty d-floor.

So I guess the hunt for my M-city continues...

No comments:

Post a Comment