Friday, October 16, 2009

This is...RSF!

Rivo, Leeming, Zest, Jets, FF, Lakeside...the list could go on. What do they all have in common? They all pale in comparison to the sweat-bucket that is the RSF. U-dub heavy weights room doesn't even come close.

Most of you know that the first thing I check out whenever I leave Perth is where I can get my next workout induced endorphin hit from. I've had to put up with some crappy places, like some hotel 'fitness rooms' which consist only of a treadmill and an exercise bike (er-hem Sydney) and sometimes I've even had no place to go, in which case I'd have to get my ghetto-workout on. But I've also had some good times, like the YMCA in Singapore (I'll never forget the sight of South-East Asian bodybuilding champion Simon Lau biking in his zebra striped hot pants), and the Russell Square FF in London.

However, this time around, I knew finding my local gym hideout would be no problem. This is college life - you work, you workout, you eat, you party. Alright, that's enough of an intro.

Welcome to my house, let me show you around.

Doesn't seem like much from the outside...


The RSF is a short 3 minute bike ride down from the I-house. This equates to about a 10 minute ride back uphill after beating the crap out of your legs in the squat rack for an hour. As you walk in, you can see the pool on your right. In front of you is a small kiosk and a hall which leads to the locker rooms, massage rooms and the main basketball stadium where the college games are held. To your left is the holy grail.

Have a snack, or just a perve at the pool.


Unfortunately, it's still a 'normal' gym, so there is still 'normal' cardio equipment for the Duracell bunnies and people dressed in Olivia Newton John outfits (let's get physical?). Of course it has to be the first thing laid out in front, so potential members get to see what's on offer. That's alright, I prefer working out in the guts and bowels of these kinds of places anyway. Up the stairs is access to the indoor soccer pitches, aerobics rooms, special martial arts padded rooms, badminton courts and the like.


To the right of the cardio stuff is a row of squash courts, and in the background you can see the entrance to the recreational basketball courts (6 of them I think). But to the left is what we're interested in.


There are 3 weights rooms. The main room is pretty big, I reckon its about the size of Myaree FF. I didn't have a wide angle lense so you can't really tell. Then there are two annexes. Each a tad bigger then Lakeside. Pretty much everything you need, including a fully stocked equipment cupboard that they actually let you use. There are so many kettlebells they use them for door stoppers (also 'cause not many people actually use them). There is even a Ronnie Coleman standing leg curl. Ain't nothing but a PEA-nut!

Main room. Ingredients all included - just add sweat.

Annex one

Annex two

Basically the place is fucking awesome. It's open from 6am to 2am the next day on weekdays, and only closes a little bit earlier on weekends. Membership gives you access to everything, including classes for free (but who gives a shit about that), the pool, locker room and court hire.

Death 'squat' row

And if you can't find a spot free on death row, just hit up the annex.

Even the drink fountains are hardcore. One to drink from, one to spit in.

Of course, being a college gym, you have your stereotypical locker room antics. What's inside my locker?

A) Sweaty gym clothes?
B) Posters of hot women?
C) Posters of buff men?
D)A midget?

And behind door number 4166...


I suppose it's C! Pictures of the D-BOSS. Motivation at its best. I hit a new PB everytime I look into his eyes.

So how much does it cost to be a member? $10 off peak per week like FF? $100 student discount per semester like at UWA? $105 for 3 months like at Lakeside?

Nope. Just $10US for a student. Oh, and a plane ticket to the States.


2 comments:

  1. Man your blog is elite. Im thoroughly enjoying it! You should try take some photos of hella buff dudes working out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers bro! Will try and find the most juiced up motherfucker in the gym and get some pics ;). Don't be surprised if it turns out to be the photo's of Duane in my locker...

    ReplyDelete