Saturday, November 7, 2009

Halloween? Hulk SMASH!


As you can imagine, Halloween is a huge deal here in the States. If you're aged 3-15 then October 21st equals tonnes of candy, chocolates, sweets, magic tricks (cheap bastards, everyone knows trick-or-treat means hand over the bloody TREATS) and possibly a blood sugar induced coma. If you're 16-25 then its an excuse to dress up, go out and party. Of course you can still get treats too. If you're a home owner, its an excuse to leave town and go to Lake Tahoe for the weekend.

Apparently the biggest Halloween party in the States is Monster Massive in Santa Barbara, people literally trek across the country to get to that gig, and quite a few of us from my residence hall went down (25 actually went in a 9 person 'Bago, no Quagmire at the wheel thank god). Unfortunately, I didn't go down, which was especially unlucky 'cause on the way back half of them went to see Armin van Buren in LA.

Before you all reprimand me for passing up this opportunity there is a reason why I didn't travel - I've got bigger plans for the coming weekend. You'll see.

Anyway instead, I partied it up here in Berkeley. And yes, I am still painting myself (any excuse will do). So to add to my growing list of alter ego's, which currently includes Wolverine and Rama, is undoubtedly my best yet - the Incredible Hulk:


Hulk vs Wolverine - we all know who wins in the cartoon

One bad thing we have to deal with here is the fact that the drinking age is 21. Which means the cops bust parties all the time. In fact, shutdowns are so common that chances are the party won't last past midnight! However, if you make it past that magical threshold then you're pretty safe for the rest of the night. Why do I mention this? Because the first night the I-house party got shutdown at 11:30pm.

Thankfully things were better on Saturday - the actual date of Halloween. I went to pres at a pseudo-sorority called TBA where I got to watch the girls try to shotgun beer from a can for the first time (see video). Hilarious. Then I went to two parties at different co-ops. Co-ops are basically privately owned student housing, so they get a lot messier. They're cool 'cause each co-op has its own theme, there's one for muso's, one for homo's, one for African Americans, one for vegetarians, and well, you get my drift. Of course you don't actually have to fall into the particular category to live in one but its part of the culture.


CZ - great place to party, not so great place to live

Casa Zimbabwe, where I spent most of my night, has quite a reputation. They throw killer parties, and not just because they have a stripper pole in the middle of the top floor dining table (which doubles as a dance stage) - though I definitely had fun with that. Maybe a little too much. Oh well, too late.



I think the best costume I saw all weekend was the shower stall guy. Chris, an American from my residence hall built himself into a shower stall. Depending on your style, he was either the most loved guy or most hated guy on the dance floor.


He did take up a lot of space, but then again, you could just jump in there with him

I have to say though, I ended up the night coming off the dancefloor with barely any green on me at all. So, I just want to put it out there, for those of you who got back home after the party and found green paint in places you shouldn't, I'm sorry - the Hulk does what he does when he's angry.


Yeah the second night I was a Hulk-Wolvie hybrid


By the way, this is my roommate Michael!




Shotgun fail!

No comments:

Post a Comment